[MOS] Tomorrow 10/22 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Isaac Chuang (MIT)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Mon Oct 21 09:35:53 EDT 2019

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held tomorrow, October 22 in 34-401A<http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=34> at 12pm

Isaac Chuang
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

“Simulation of molecular vibronic spectra on a superconducting bosonic processor”

The efficient simulation of quantum systems is a primary motivating factor for developing controllable quantum machines. A controllable bosonic machine is naturally suited for simulating systems with underlying bosonic structure, exploiting both quantum interference and an intrinsically large Hilbert space. We experimentally realize a bosonic superconducting processor that combines arbitrary state preparation, a complete set of Gaussian operations, plus an essential non-Gaussian resource - a novel single-shot photon number resolving measurement scheme - all in one device. We utilize these controls to simulate the bosonic problem of molecular vibronic spectra, extracting the corresponding Franck-Condon factors for photoelectron processes in H2O, O3, NO2, and SO2. These results demonstrate how quantum computation can be extended to synthesize and analyze dynamics of nonlinear Gaussian systems which may be of interest in quantum chemistry and other fields.

Ref: https://arxiv.org/abs/1908.03598

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar!

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry