[MOS] 5/7 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Hendrik Utzat (Bawendi Group)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Tue Apr 30 14:49:51 EDT 2019

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held next Tuesday, May 7 at 12pm in 5-234

**Please note location**

Hendrik Utzat
MIT – Bawendi Group

“Spectroscopy and Rational Chemical Design of Single Emitters for Quantum Photonics”

Emerging single quantum emitters such as lead halide perovskite quantum dots (PQDs) or fluorescent defects in 2D materials are promising material platforms for the realization of quantum-photonic technologies based on single photons. However, the in-depth investigation of the relevant single emitter photo-physics has been hampered by the lack of suitable spectroscopic techniques. Here, I show that the marriage of photon-correlation and Fourier spectroscopy provides a tool that can reliably be used to assess the single-photon purity and optical coherence times of single photon emitters. I show that ensemble-level photon-correlation spectroscopy of single emitters in solution can identify PQDs with high single photon purity and narrow emission linewidths and that these parameters can be controlled with the chemical synthesis.[1] Photon-correlation Fourier spectroscopy (PCFS) of single emitters at low temperatures measures the optical coherence times without obfuscating effects of fast (μs) spectral diffusion. Using PCFS, we find that PQDs display highly efficient and coherent single photon emission. These measurements suggest that, unlike any other colloidal quantum dot material, PQDs can be explored as building blocks in sources of indistinguishable single photons.[2] I extend these photon-coherence measurements to quantum defects in 2D hexagonal boron nitride.

[1] Utzat et al. Nano Lett., 2017, 17 (11), pp 6838–6846.
[2] Utzat et al. Science, 2019, 363 (6431), pp. 1068-1072.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar!

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry