[MOS] Tomorrow 10/16 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Elad Harel (Northwestern University)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Mon Oct 15 09:50:42 EDT 2018

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held tomorrow, Tuesday, October 16 at 12pm in 56-154

**Please note location**

Elad Harel
Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Northwestern University

“Multi-Dimensional Spectroscopy and Imaging to Track Molecular Dynamics at Extreme Scales”

A fundamental goal of chemical physics is an understanding of microscopic interactions in molecules at and away from equilibrium. In principle, much of this microscopic information is accessible by high-order and high-dimensionality nonlinear optical spectroscopy and microscopy. However, recovering the electronic and vibrational structure and dynamics of complex systems is extremely challenging in the presence of spatial and spectral inhomogeneities. Even at the single-particle/molecule level where such inhomogeneity is minimized, severe spectral congestion can lead to ambiguities in physical interpretation of signals. Here, we describe two complimentary approaches to achieving high spectral resolution in condensed-phase systems that relieves much of this ambiguity: 1) the development of a fifth-order 4D electronic-vibrational spectroscopy that can provide spectral resolution below the homogeneous line width. Specifically, we focus on applications of this method to conjugated molecules, quantum dots, and photosynthetic light-harvesting proteins. Various acquisition schemes based on non-uniform sampling and reconstruction methods beyond the Fourier transform are described. These include radial sampling and statistical reconstruction methods that yield orders-of-magnitude improvements in both signal-to-noise and dynamic range. 2) We describe a nonlinear ultrafast microscopy method to study spatially heterogeneous systems such as thin films of metal halide perovskites.  We show that both the average and distribution of carrier properties such as initial carrier temperature, carrier relaxation, and sub-bandgap states, and their connection to local morphology and structure are critical for fully understanding the solid-state physics of these materials.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry