[MOS] TODAY - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Katherine (Kallie) Willets, Temple University

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Tue Feb 20 09:01:45 EST 2018

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held today at 12pm in NE47-189

**Please note location**

Katherine (Kallie) Willets
Temple University

“Super-resolution imaging of nanoscale electrochemical phenomena”

This talk will describe how super-resolution optical imaging can be used to probe nanoscale electrochemical phenomena that are hidden by traditional electrochemical techniques.  In the first part of the talk, we show how we can manipulate the 3-dimensional trajectories of single nanoparticles as they are delivered from a nanopipette to an electrified interface.  By balancing the force of the pressure-driven flow from the pipette against an attractive electrostatic potential at a substrate, we can control nanoparticle motion in real time.  To visualize nanoparticle motion, a resistive-pulse electrochemical setup is coupled with an optical microscope, and nanoparticle trajectories are tracked in three-dimensions using super-resolution imaging to obtain positional information with precision better than 10 nm.  In the second part of the talk, we describe how super-resolution imaging and polarization-resolved microscopy reveal heterogeneous oxide formation on the surface of single silver nanoparticles.  By monitoring both the temporal and spatial properties of single particle scattering during electrodissolution, we show how heterogeneous surface oxides impact electrochemical reactions at nanoparticle surfaces.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry