[MOS] Tomorrow 4/10 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Daniel A. Heller (Cancer Nanomedicine Laboratory, etc.)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Mon Apr 9 11:20:19 EDT 2018

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held tomorrow, Tuesday, April 10 at 12pm in NE47-189

**Please note location**

Daniel A. Heller, Ph.D.
Head, Cancer Nanomedicine Laboratory
Assistant Member, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Assistant Professor, Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University

“Controlling Carbon Nanotube Photoluminescence for Cancer Research and Diagnosis”

The measurement of biomarkers, drugs, and metabolites in live cells and organisms would allow for improvements in disease detection, drug development, and biomedical research. Single-walled carbon nanotubes have suitable optical properties for application as sensors for use in live cells and in vivo, including narrow, near-infrared emission bands with sensitivity to the local environment. To develop them into sensors for bioanalytes, we devised new methods to probe single-walled carbon nanotube optical properties, including near-infrared hyperspectral imaging and live-tissue excitation/emission spectroscopy. We also harnessed a mechanism of carbon nanotube photoluminescence optical bandgap modulation, whereby electrostatic charges mediate spectral shifts. We believe that this effect is consistent with carbon nanotube solvatochromic behavior and found that this mechanism facilitates the measurement of multiple classes of bioanaltytes, such as nucleic acids, drugs, and proteins, enabling the development of in vivo implantable sensors for the study and detection of cancer.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry