[MOS] TOMORROW - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Ming Guo (MIT)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:54:16 EDT 2018

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held tomorrow, April 3 at 12pm in 34-401

Ming Guo
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

“Biomechanical Imaging of Cell-Matrix Interaction in 3D

Living cells typically grow in a three dimensional (3D) environments. The physical properties of the matrix are known to significantly impact cell behavior, such as cell stiffness, morphology, migration, and stem-cell differentiation. However, cells also constantly reorganize the structure of their surrounding matrix during physiological processes; this is thought to also change the physical properties of the surrounding matrix, which may then have immediate impacts on cell behavior. In this talk, I will present our recent progress on experimentally characterizing the local changes in the matrix structure and mechanics induced by individual living cells inside a 3D biopolymer matrix, through direct microscopy and micromechanical measurement. Moreover, I will introduce a method, called Nonlinear Stress Inference Microscopy, with which we can determine the cell-induced local matrix stress from nonlinear microrheology measurements inside various types of extracellular matrix in 3D, without requiring detailed knowledge of the material constitutive relation of these respective systems. In addition, I will also introduce our recent progress on characterizing the significant role of vimentin intermediate filament in determining nonlinear mechanics of mammalian cytoskeleton.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry