[MOS] 11/28 - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Martin Zwierlein (MIT)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Wed Nov 22 13:44:00 EST 2017

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held on Tuesday, November 28 at 12pm in 34-401:

________________

Professor Martin W. Zwierlein
Department of Physics
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

"Ultracold Dipolar Molecules of NaK"

Quantum  gases  of  dipolar  molecules  hold promise  for  precision  measurements,  quantum information and the creation of novel many-body systems. In this talk I will report on our creation of an ultracold dipolar gas of fermionic 23Na40K molecules in their absolute rovibrational and hyperfine ground state. Starting from weakly bound Feshbach molecules, we perform hyperfine resolved two-photon transfer into the singlet X1Σ+|v=0,J=0⟩ ground state, coherently bridging a binding energy difference of 0.65 eV via stimulated rapid adiabatic passage. The spin-polarized, nearly quantum degenerate molecular gas displays lifetimes of several seconds. In recent studies, we demonstrated coherent control over the hyperfine and rotational degrees of freedom, and observed second-long spin coherence times. With these advances, the exploration of many-body physics with strongly dipolar molecules and quantum information applications are within reach.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry