[MOS] Tomorrow: 3/7 Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar: Renjie Zhou, MIT

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Mon Mar 6 10:08:54 EST 2017

CORRECTION: This seminar is being held tomorrow, Tuesday, March 7 as indicated in the subject.

Apologies for the error in the email body.

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry
77 Massachusetts Ave, 6-333
Cambridge, MA 02139
p: 617.253.7239
e: cbrooks at mit.edu

From: <mos-bounces at mit.edu<mailto:mos-bounces at mit.edu>> on behalf of Christine Brooks <cbrooks at mit.edu<mailto:cbrooks at mit.edu>>
Date: Monday, March 6, 2017 at 10:00 AM
To: mos <mos at mit.edu<mailto:mos at mit.edu>>
Subject: [MOS] Tomorrow: 3/7 Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar: Renjie Zhou, MIT

Please join us for the first Modern Optics and Spectroscopy seminar of Spring 2017, held tomorrow, Wednesday, March 7 at 12pm in MIT 34-401, with lunch served immediately following the talk:

Renjie Zhou
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

"Tomographic Phase Microscopy: a label-free platform for 3D imaging of cells"

In this talk, I will first give a brief introduction to quantitative phase microscopy (QPM) and its instrumentation and highlight several important applications. After that, I will focus my topic on tomographic phase microscopy (TPM), which is a label-free 3D imaging technique based on solving the inverse scattering problem with QPM systems. TPM determines 3D refractive index maps of cells with ~ 500 nm lateral resolution and ~ 1 μm axial resolution. Two types of TPM methods will be discussed in details, namely illumination-angle scanning TPM and coherence-gating TPM. For angle-scanning TPM, I will present our recent progress on pushing the 3D imaging speed by implementing digital micromirror devices (DMDs). For coherence-gating TPM, I will first review our earlier work on white-light diffraction tomography (WDT), which used the temporal-coherence gating effect to achieve 1 μm depth resolution. While WDT is based on transmission measurements of forward scattering light, it has the missing cone problem that limited its optical sectioning capability for flat samples. This issue can be mitigated by developing a coherence-gating reflection TPM based on using a spatially incoherent dynamic laser speckle illumination. I will share our recent efforts towards accomplishing such a system before my talk comes to the end.

Renjie Zhou is a postdoctoral associate at George R. Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory at MIT, where his research centers on developing sensitive interferometric microscopy systems and high throughput 3D imaging methods for biomedical applications. Dr. Zhou received PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) in 2014. His dissertation focused on developing wafer defect inspection instruments and solving 3D inverse scattering problems for cell imaging. Dr. Zhou has co-authored over 40 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers. He has received a number of research awards including the Arnold Beckman Fellowship from the Beckman Institute, Scholarship in Optics & Photonics and Newport Spectra - Physics Research Excellence Travel Grant from SPIE; Jean Bennett Memorial Student Travel Grant finalist from OSA; P. D. Coleman Outstanding Research Award and Yuen T. Lo Outstanding Graduate Research Award from UIUC. He is avid in promoting optical sciences.

e: cbrooks at mit.edu<mailto:cbrooks at mit.edu>