[MOS] 12/5 (Tomorrow) - Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar with Rizal Hariadi (Arizona State University)

Christine Brooks cbrooks at mit.edu
Mon Dec 4 13:15:53 EST 2017

There will be a Modern Optics and Spectroscopy Seminar held tomorrow, December 5 at 12pm in 34-401:

Rizal F. Hariadi
Department of Physics, Biodesign Institute
Arizona State University

Protein and DNA origami nanoarrays: from dissecting molecular machines to democratizing digital diagnostics

Abstract – The functions of complex biological systems arise, in part, from the organization and subtle interactions of biomolecules. DNA origami, in combination with conjugation strategies, offers a unique opportunity to organize biomolecules for applications in biophysics and diagnostics. In this talk, I will present our latest research demonstrating the exquisite positional control of DNA origami technology across multiple length scales. In the first part of my talk, I will show two DNA-nanostructure-guided protein arrays for dissecting collective behaviors of molecular machines consisting of 100-nm-sized rectangular DNA origami nanostructures and tens-of-micron-long DNA nanotubes, patterned with myosin motors. These studies uncover elegant engineering principles for designing force sensors and molecular transporters on complex landscapes. In the second half of the talk, I will present some recent results obtained in collaboration with Ashwin Gopinath and Paul Rothemund on the development of lithography-free cm-scale DNA origami nanoarrays. Finally, I will conclude with a discussion on the transformative potential and future directions of protein and DNA nanoarrays, including high-throughput single-molecule biophysics and low-cost digital diagnostics that target minuscule concentrations of DNA.

Refreshments will be served immediately following the seminar

Christine Brooks
Administrative Assistant
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry