[MOS] March 15, 2016, Sam Teitelbaum, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Rebecca Teixeira rebeccat at mit.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:55:10 EST 2016

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Understanding Far-From Equilibrium Dynamics with Single-Shot Spectroscopy

Tuesday, March 15, 2016
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

In solids, a high density of optical excitations from an ultrafast laser can act collectively to drive the material far from equilibrium, potentially creating new structural phases not accessible on the equilibrium phase diagram.  Investigation of the earliest moments of such processes has been limited because the material does not always return to equilibrium after high density excitation, and many time-domain spectroscopic techniques require the sample to return to equilibrium after each laser shot.  We have developed a method that allows us to follow a single excitation pulse with 400 probe pulses, allowing us to measure the first moments of irreversible processes.  Using this method, we have identified a photoinduced symmetric phase in bismuth above the damage threshold, and studied the formation of a metastable metallic phase in an epitaxially strained manganite film.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture