[MOS] March 1, 2016, Shengxi Huang, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Seminar on Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Luis H Galindo chibcha at mit.edu
Mon Feb 29 14:56:56 EST 2016

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Seeing the “Breathing” of layered material systems

Tuesday, March 1, 2016
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

The “breathing”, or the vibrational motion of materials, contains rich information about the physical and chemical properties and states. As a powerful tool to see such “breathing”, Raman spectroscopy is a useful probe for two-dimensional (2D) layered materials, such as graphene, transition metal dichalcogenides, black phosphorus, etc. The breathing of 2D materials can be categorized into intralayer and interlayer Raman modes, which describe intralayer bond vibrations, and layer- layer vibrations, respectively. The interlayer Raman modes are especially sensitive to interlayer coupling in layered materials, but it requires special measurement facilities due to their low frequency close to the Rayleigh line. In this talk, I will first introduce the techniques to implement interlayer Raman measurement, and present several examples using low-frequency Raman to study 2D materials systems, including twisted bilayer MoS2 and few-layer black phosphorus. Next, I will present a new observation of Raman spectroscopy in 2D materials with in-plane anisotropy, such as black phosphorus and gallium telluride. In the last part of my talk, I will briefly introduce a technique to enhance the “breathing” of organic molecules using layered material, the graphene-enhanced Raman spectroscopy, which can be widely used in microanalysis and chemical detection.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture