[MOS] February 23, 2016, Barry McManus, Aerodyne - LBRC

Luis H Galindo chibcha at mit.edu
Thu Feb 18 11:07:32 EST 2016

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Optics and spectroscopy for environmental research: From abstract solution spaces to being stuck in the mud, for the sake of the world

Barry McManus,
Aerodyne

Tuesday, February 23, 2016
12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

In this talk I will review developments in optics at Aerodyne Research, Inc. related to using infrared laser spectroscopy to measure atmospheric trace gases with high sensitivity and precision.  These optical and spectroscopic techniques may have some satisfying aspects for those with a taste for theory.  Once applied to instruments that we (and others) use to measure real-world problems, such as emissions of gases into the environment, theory and practice work together (Ah!: “Mens et Manus”). In field measurements one may encounter spectroscopic issues, legal issues, or just being stuck in the mud.  I will describe our trace gas instruments, multi-pass optical cells and real-world instrument applications.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg. 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture