[MOS] October 22, 2013

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 16 08:55:52 EDT 2013

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Seeing electrons in two dimensions
Tony F. Heinz,
Columbia University

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
The past few years have witnessed a surge of activity in the study of graphene and, more recently, in other atomically thin two-dimensional materials.  We will describe some the reasons for the intense interest in these new material systems, highlighting their unusual electronic properties. We will show how we can use light to probe the distinctive properties electrons in model 2-D materials such as graphene and transition metal dichalcogenides.  We will discuss the basics of light-matter interactions in these 2-D materials, as well as signatures of electron-electron and electron-phonon interactions in both spectral and femtosecond time-domain measurements.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture