[MOS] April 23, 2013

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 22 10:26:30 EDT 2013

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

J-aggregates:  Excitonic Material for Strong Light-Matter Coupling and Energy Funneling

Gleb M. Akselrod,

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

Coherent coupling between chromophores is in part responsible for the remarkable energy transfer efficiency of natural photosynthetic systems. If Nature can do it, can we engineer materials with such coherent interactions that can be harnessed in optoelectronic devices ranging from lasers to solar cells to photodectectors? In this talk I will discuss my work on J-aggregates, a remarkable organic material made by the self-assembly of organic dye molecules into sheets. The result of this aggregation is a coherently delocalized exciton at room temperature with extremely high optical absorption and record exciton diffusion lengths (~100 nm).  I will first show that these J-aggregate properties can be exploited in optical microcavities to obtain laser operation in the strong light-matter coupling regime. Second, I will demonstrate how J-aggregates can be used as an excitonic antenna for fluorescence enhancement of single molecules and quantum dots, an excitonic analogue to plasmonic enhancement.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401

Refreshments served after the lecture