[MOS] September 25, 2012

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 24 09:41:21 EDT 2012

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Quantitative phase microscopy in thin

and thick samples

Jerome Mertz,

Boston University

Tuesday September 25, 2012

12:00pm- 1:00pm

Phase contrast microscopy has benefited from a resurgence in interest over the past decade, particularly in the development of methods that are quantitative and fast.  I will present two such methods. The first is called Partitioned Aperture Wavefront (PAW) imaging, and is based on a transmission configuration with oblique detection. PAW imaging has the advantage of being fast (single-shot), achromatic (works with white light), light efficient (works with extended sources), and quantitative. The second method is called Oblique Back-illumination Microscopy (OBM), and is based on a reflection configuration. OBM provides images similar to Differential Interference Contrast (DIC) microscopy, but with the advantage that it can be applied to arbitrarily thick samples. As such, OBM is suitable for endomicroscopy applications, which I will demonstrate with a fiber-bundle-based prototype operating at near video rate. Both techniques are simple and easy to implement.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401

Refreshments served after the lecture