[MOS] April 3, 2012

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 30 07:34:40 EDT 2012

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

New opportunities in nonlinear optical imaging

William Tisdale,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tuesday, April 3, 2012
12:00-1:00p.m.
Recent years have witnessed an explosion of activity in nonlinear optical imaging techniques. These developments, fueled primarily by the need for more advanced biological microscopes, have ushered in an era of rapid technological progress in high-repetition rate wavelength-tunable ultrafast lasers and associated measurement & control electronics. While the impact on biological imaging has been evident, the deployment of these tools to address questions in chemical and materials engineering has been more limited. In this talk, I will discuss several projects my group will be pursuing. In particular, I’ll address opportunities in catalysis, charge transport, exciton diffusion, and heat transfer in nanostructured materials.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture