[MOS] October 4, 2011

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 30 15:00:36 EDT 2011

Seminar on

  Modern Optics and Spectroscopy
Adding dimensions to vibrational spectroscopy: 2D sum-frequency generation (SFG) spectroscopy and dye-sensitized solar cells

Martin Zanni,
University of Wisconsin, Madison

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

I will describe experiments aimed at characterizing the structures and dynamics of organic/inorganic interfaces.  These experiments include the electron transfer dynamics of molecular dyes on TiO2 semiconductor using transient 2D IR spectroscopy.  2D IR spectroscopy allows us to resolve multiple dye conformations and discover that they have different electron transfer rates.  My talk will also include the development of time-domain sum-frequency generation spectroscopy and heterodyne detected 2D SFG spectroscopy.  The goal is to better characterize the structures of the dyes on TiO2, but SFG spectra are often distorted and thus difficult to implement.  I will present the first experiments that are the direct analog of 2D IR spectroscopy, but with surface sensitivity.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture