[MOS] April 26, 2011

Zina M Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 25 09:36:22 EDT 2011

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Characterization of graphene nanoribbons and graphene edges by Raman spectroscopy and TEM

Xiaoting Jia,Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

12:00 – 1:00 p.m.

Graphene nanoribbons (GNRs) are quasi one dimensional structures which have
unique transport properties, and have a potential to open a bandgap at small ribbon widths. They have been extensively studied in recent years due to their high potential for future electronic, optical and spintronic device applications. The edge structures - including the edge roughness and chirality- dramatically affect the transport, electronic, optical, and magneticproperties of GNRs, and are of the critical importance. I will first review thecurrent status and challenges in the graphene edge study, and then discuss aboutcharacterization of the edges using Raman spectroscopy, transmission electronmicroscopy (TEM) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). I will also introduce an effective way to modify the edges structures, and to produce atomically smooth zigzag and armchair edges by using in-situ TEM with a controlled bias. This work provides us with many opportunities for both fundamental studies and for future applications.
Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture