[MOS] TODAY November 24, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 24 08:18:30 EST 2009

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Molecular tools for studying genetically challenging organisms

Jacquin Niles, MIT

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Several pathogens of global importance, such as Plasmodium
falciparum, have proven difficult to study due to availability of
only a very limited molecular toolkit for perturbing protein
function.  Understanding protein function in its native biological
context requires the ability to regulate parameters such as
expression level, timing of expression and localization, which can
facilitate linking a specific protein to a defined cellular process
or pathway.  This information can improve both basic understanding of
the target organism's biology as well as impact therapeutic
development efforts by providing functionally validated targets.

Here, we present our initial efforts at introducing a generic and
expandable strategy for experimentally regulating protein expression
level.  Overall, we emphasize applicability in multiple organisms,
independent of their genetic tractability.  Our approach is premised
upon experimentally regulating the multiple fates of mRNA within
cells.  For example, using basic knowledge of translational
regulation mechanisms, we demonstrate inducible protein expression in
model prokaryote and eukaryote systems.  To accomplish this, we have
discovered RNA aptamer elements that reversibly interact with
proteins in a small molecule-dependent manner.  Small molecule
regulated translation is then achieved by appropriately inserting
these aptamer elements into target mRNA.  Current efforts involve
optimizing the robustness of these systems in conjunction with
validating them directly in P. falciparum.  While these tools will be
broadly applicable, our future efforts will aim initially at using
them to study basic aspects of P. falciparum biology, such as
understanding cell cycle regulation during the red blood cell phase
of parasite development.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture