[MOS] November 17, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 13 10:04:59 EST 2009

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

The quest for chemical contrasts in high resolution microscopy

Christian Degen, MIT

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Adding chemical contrast to the topographic capabilities of scanning
probe microscopy is a longstanding aspiration, dating back to the
early proposals of the technique by Binnig and Rohrer in 1982. This
goal has led to great interest in combining scanning probes with
spectroscopic techniques such as inelastic tunneling spectroscopy,
force spectroscopy, or Raman spectroscopy, all of which have
successfully demonstrated atomic or molecular identification in
certain systems. In general, however, scanning probe microscopes are
not particularly well-equipped to identify what they are actually
imaging.

In this talk I will discuss our lab's efforts in combining scanning
probe microscopy with the inherent chemical selectivity of nuclear
magnetic resonance (NMR). I will introduce the basics of Magnetic
Resonance Force Microscopy, and show how the technique can be used to
detect different chemical elements. I will then talk about recent
efforts at imaging nanoscale objects in 3D, including magnetic
resonance imaging (MRI) of individual virus particles at a spatial
resolution of better than 10 nm. Finally I will review the recent
proposal of optical diamond magnetometry as an alternative path to
nanometer-scale NMR under ambient conditions.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture