[MOS] December 8, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 7 09:19:04 EST 2009

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Applications of dynamically-tuned photonic structures

Michelle Povinelli,
University of Southern California

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

The last decade has seen great progress in the development of
microphotonic devices including integrated microphotonic waveguides,
photonic crystals, and microresonators. Integration of such devices
on to semiconductor chips has yielded so-called "microphotonic
circuits" for insertion into optical communication systems. A
critical challenge for future development of these technologies is
the introduction and refinement of mechanisms for tuning and
dynamically reconfiguring microphotonic circuits. Dynamically-tunable
photonic structures will allow greatly enhanced capabilities for
optical information processing.  In the first part of talk, we
discuss how optical forces can be used to dynamically reconfigure
photonic devices. We show that for silicon microcantilever
waveguides, optical forces can be used to design highly-tunable
birefringent behavior and compact polarization rotation devices. For
coupled photonic-crystal slabs, we show that optical forces are
strongly enhanced by guided resonance states and can result in
step-like relative motion. Such structures enable the enhancement of
light pressure over large areas in a configuration accessible to
free-space optical beams. In the second part of the talk, we discuss
applications of dynamic refractive index tuning for trapping and
storing light pulses. We present an optimal tuning scheme for
slowing, storing, and releasing light pulses in pairs of
photonic-crystal microcavities.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture