[MOS] April 21, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 17 08:51:54 EDT 2009

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Electron-phonon interactions in carbon nanotubes studied by Raman spectroscopy

Hootan Farhat, MIT

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

The unique electronic properties of carbon nanotubes (CNTs) make them a viable
contender for future generation electronic components such as transistors and
electrical interconnects.  The feasibility of this technology depends on many
factors, one of which is the scattering of electrons by room temperature
lattice phonons.  The reduced dimensionality of CNTs can lead to a different
interaction between electrons and phonons than in the bulk.  In this talk we
show that the Raman spectrum of carbon nanotubes is rich in information about
the elecron-phonon interaction.  We will present measurements on individual
CNTs in which we can control the Fermi level and the current passing through
the nanotube during the Raman measurement.  We will discuss phonon softening in
metallic CNTs, doping induced structural deformations, and electrical
heating of
individual CNTs.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture