[MOS] April 7, 2009

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 6 09:26:37 EDT 2009

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Many-body processes in colloidal semiconductor nanocrystals

Gautham Nair, MIT

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

To help guide applications, the fundamental optical properties of
semiconductor nanocrystals (NCs) have been studied extensively, and
most relevant aspects of the single exciton state structure and
fluorescence are well understood. A handful of potential
applications, however, rely heavily on less understood multiexcitonic
and many-body effects. The first part of the talk will focus on
carrier multiplication (CM), the generation of more than one electron
and hole in a semiconductor after absorption of one photon. Interest
in CM, a desirable process in photovoltaic applications, has renewed
in recent years because of reports suggesting greatly increased
efficiencies in nanocrystalline materials compared to the bulk form.
We will describe our experimental assessments of CM yields in
semiconductor NCs by careful study of exciton and biexciton
signatures in transient photoluminescence decays. The CM yields we
determine are much lower than most of the reports in the literature.
We discuss the implications of our findings within a general
theoretical framework. The second  part of the talk examines the role
of many-body processes in the fluorescence intermittency (blinking)
of NCs. The prevailing hypothesis for fluorescence quenching in an
off NC involves a three-body Coulomb-mediated relaxation process that
is also though to play a dominant role in the relaxation of
multiexcitons in NCs. We have studied this connection by spectrally
resolving exciton and multiexciton emission from single NCs and
measuring the correlationof their intermittency.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture