[MOS] October 21, 2008

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 17 09:12:28 EDT 2008

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

On-chip femtosecond neurosurgery

M. Fatih Yanik, MIT

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

In recent years, the advantages of using small invertebrate animals
as model systems for human diseases have become increasingly
apparent, and have resulted in two Nobel Prizes in Physiology and
Medicine in 2002 and 2006 for the discoveries made in the nematode C.
elegans. The availability of a wide array of species-specific genetic
techniques, along with the animal's transparency, and its ability to
grow in minute volumes make C. elegans an extremely versatile model
organism. However, since the first studies in the early 1960s, little
has changed in how scientists manipulate this multi-cellular
organism. As a result, neural regeneration and in vivo
high-throughput screens at cellular or sub-cellular resolution could
not be performed. We present key technologies for complex
high-throughput whole-animal genetic and drug screens at sub-cellular
resolution using femtosecond laser technology and microfluidics. We
demonstrate high-speed microfluidic sorters, which isolate and
immobilize single awake animals in well-defined geometries for
high-throughput in vivo imaging and surgery of phenotypic features at
sub-cellular resolution using femtosecond lasers. We show integrated
chips containing multiple addressable incubation chambers for
exposure of individual animals to biochemical compounds and
high-resolution time-lapse imaging of many animals on a single chip
without the need for anesthesia. We show devices for delivery of
compound libraries in standard multi-well plates to microfluidic
devices and also for rapid dispensing of screened animals into
multi-well plates. These technologies allow various types of
high-throughput in vivo assays on small-animals at sub-cellular
resolution including mutagenesis, RNAi and compound screens, as well
as high-throughput in vivo neural degeneration and regeneration
studies.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture