[MOS] November 4, 2008

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 3 08:04:27 EST 2008

Seminar on

Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Opaque lenses:  Using disorder to bring laser light to a focus

Allard Mosk,
University of Twente, The Netherlands

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Materials such as white paint, skin or bone are opaque because they
have a microscopic disordered structure that scatters light. Light
impinging on such a material becomes diffuse and only a fraction of
it is transmitted. By controlling the shape of the incoming
wavefront, using a two-dimensional spatial phase modulator, we can
cause coherent light to interfere constructively at a target point
behind the sample. We find that at the target point, the light forms
a tight focus that is up to 1000 times brighter than the diffuse
background.

Theorists have predicted that in any non-absorbing disordered sample
there exist open eigenchannels: specific linear combinations of
incoming waves which experience a transmittance of nearly one. Such
eigenchannels have not been directly observed in condensed matter
systems, however, they are the cause of phenomena such as universal
conductance fluctuations. By carefully constructing a suitable
wavefront we find we can selectively couple light to the open
eigenchannels in a disordered optical material. As a result, the
total diffuse transmittance increases. The magnitude of the increase
is exactly as predicted by random matrix theory.

Grier Room, MIT Bldg 34-401
Refreshments served after the lecture