[MOS] March 4, 2008

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 29 15:13:18 EST 2008

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Christopher Cheatum,
University of Iowa

Watching the protein mambo:
  Fast enzyme dynamics

March 4, 2008

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

The structural dynamics of enzymes at the femtosecond to picosecond
time scale have been invoked to explain the results of
temperature-dependent kinetic-isotope-effect measurements for a
number of enzymatic reactions.  We report studies of enzyme-ligand
interaction dynamics at this time scale.  To identify the residues
that control the dynamics, we have probed the fluctuations of
isozymes and mutants of human carbonic anhydrase. We have also
studied enzyme dynamics in a transition-state-analog complex for the
enzyme formate dehydrogenase.  Our results support a potential role
for fast dynamics near the transition state and reveal differences in
the nature of enzyme-ligand interaction dynamics in the ground state
and in vicinity of the transition state of a reaction.