[MOS] April 8, 2008

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 7 08:50:23 EDT 2008

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Katherine Stone,
MIT

Multi-excitonic coupling in semiconductor nanostructures studied by
multidimensional electronic Fourier transform spectroscopy

APRIL 8, 2008

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room 34-401

Ultrafast excitation of solids creates coherent superpositions of
correlated many-particle states. For electronic excitations,
important high-order many-body correlations may contribute strongly
to signals measured in nonlinear spectroscopy, but often the
contributions are highly convolved with those from lower-order
correlations. These high-order correlations are often involved in
coherent control schemes for quantum information processing,
accessing exciton spin coherence and controlling electromagnetically
induced transparency in semiconductors. Two-dimensional Fourier
Transform spectroscopy has revealed vibrational or electronic
coupling in a variety of condensed phase systems. In order to isolate
the high-order correlations in nonlinear signals from semiconductor
quantum wells we employ a Two-quantum 2D electronic FTS technique
that is based on spatiotemporal pulse shaping. This is the optical
analogue of multiple-quantum techniques used routinely in 2D NMR
spectroscopy. We are able to isolate and record direct observations
of the many-body dynamics in a condensed phase system that are beyond
a mean-field approximation