[MOS] MOS September 25, 2007

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 24 09:06:14 EDT 2007

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Changhuei Yang,
California Institute of Technology

Lighting ways in Biomedicine

September 25, 2007

12:00 - 1:00 p.m., Grier Room 34-401

Biophotonics is a rapidly evolving research area aimed at providing
new light-based imaging, diagnostic and therapeutic tools for
biologists and clinicians. I will be talking about two areas of
biophotonics research that are occurring in my lab:

The Optofluidic Microscope - A microscope the size of Washington's
nose on a quarter, that does not contain any lenses and is yet able
to image with better resolution than a typical microscope. The
application range of this invention is wide: it can change the way
biologists think about and use microscope, it enables clinical
point-of-care blood and urine analysis, and it can improve Third
World heathcare by providing cheap and rugged microscope units.

Tissue Scattering Suppression by Time Reversal Phase Conjugation - An
approach for turning biological tissues transparent through the use
of holography. Light scattering in tissues may look random but their
trajectories are deterministic. As such, it is possible to create a
situation where light scattered from a tissue will retrace their
paths through the tissue. I will report on our initial findings and
point out a few applications for such a phenomenon