[MOS] May 8, 2007

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri May 4 14:44:20 EDT 2007

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Adam Steeves, MIT

Acetylene:  What happens when a well-behaved molecule gets bent out of shape?

May 8, 2007

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room

At energies approaching those required for chemical transformation,
analysis of the vibrational spectrum of an isolated polyatomic
molecule often becomes complicated by a rapidly increasing density of
states, destruction of the utility of normal mode quantum numbers as
labels, and the coexistence of classically chaotic and regular
dynamic regimes. Assignment and interpretation of a vibrational
spectrum depend, in such a region, on our ability to utilize
unconventional information to isolate and assign the states most
critical to the dynamics, those that sample chemical reaction
barriers. We discuss two cases in which the recognition of novel
spectroscopic patterns have aided our understanding of large
amplitude vibrational dynamics in acetylene. In the first
electronically excited singlet state of acetylene, purely vibrational
(anharmonic) and vibration-rotation (Coriolis) interactions between
the normal mode basis states involving the two low frequency
vibrations spoil the traditional vibration-rotation energy level
patterns upon which vibrational assignments are typically based.
However, these strong interactions drive the system to a new, but
still recongnizable pattern of energy levels, which can be described
by an approximately conserved polyad quantum number. Due to
distortion of the electronic wavefunction as the molecule approaches
barriers to chemical rearrangement, the identification of special
large amplitude motions can also be aided by the measurement of
electronic properties of the vibrationally excited molecule. We
demonstrate how measurement of a electronic property, the electric
dipole moment, can identify local-bending, barrier-proximal
vibrational states in the ground electronic state of acetyelene.