[MOS] March 27, 2007

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 23 15:52:10 EDT 2007

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Mriganka Sur, MIT

Imaging cells, synapses and molecules in the live brain

March 27, 2007

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room 34-401

Neuroscience is being transformed by optical tools, particularly
those that combine high resolution cellular imaging with novel
reporters of cell structure and function. Recent studies from our
laboratory demonstrate the power of these approaches for revealing
mechanisms of function and plasticity in neurons and networks of the
mammalian cerebral cortex. Cortical neurons receive excitatory
synapses at trillions of tiny protrusions, termed spines. Spines
change their structure dynamically. By combining structural
two-photon imaging of GFP-labeled neurons and functional intrinsic
signal optical imaging in visual cortex in vivo, we have shown that
functional plasticity in cortical networks is anchored by structural
changes in precisely located spines. To examine the role of CaMKII_
in mediating such plasticity, we have used a virally packaged CFP/YFP
FRET probe to reveal real-time changes in CaMKII_ autophosphorylation
within spines and dendrites in vivo. Synaptic plasticity is known to
require precise spatial and temporal expression in cells of molecules
such as Arc. By using mice genetically engineered to express GFP in
response to Arc activation, we have demonstrated the physiological
role of Arc in network development and cortical information
processing.  Finally, using functional two-photon imaging of calcium
signals in vivo combined with cell-specific markers, we have revealed
the function of astrocytes - which constitute half of all cortical
cells but whose function was hitherto unknown. Individual neurons and
their adjacent astrocytes in visual cortex have matched spatial
receptive fields and similarly sharp tuning to stimulus features.
Astrocytes mediate structural plasticity at spines as well as a key
component of the brain's hemodynamic response, which couples neuronal
activity to vascular signals critical for noninvasive brain imaging.