[MOS] March 6, 2007

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 6 08:55:50 EST 2007

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Moungi Bawendi, MIT

Nanocrystal quantum dot science and technology:  The importance of spectroscopy

March 6, 2007

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room 34-401

This talk will review the background chemistry and photophysics of
nanocrystal quantum dots that is relevant to their application in
opto-electronic devices and biomedical and biological imaging. We
will begin by discussing the spectroscopy of excitons and
multiexcitons in single quantum dots. Most device applications of
quantum dots thus far involve either the generation of excitons
followed by light emission, such as in a light emitting device, or
the generation of excitons followed by exciton ionization and
harvesting of carriers, such as in a photoconductive device or a
solar cell. Multiexciton physics in quantum dots is important for
potential lasing applications and for probing the possibility of
carrier multiplication from quantum dots, which has been proposed as
a route to increasing the efficiency of quantum dot based solar
cells. We will report on the use of correlation spectroscopy to
unambiguously determine multiexciton emission. We will also assess
carrier multiplication in CdSe quantum dots. We will give an overview
of photoconduction in quantum dot films and the parameters that
describe and modify its efficiency. Finally, we will give examples of
the application of quantum dots as the emitters in layered hybrid
inorganic/organic light emitting devices and in devices where the
charge transport layers are inorganic oxides. For biological imaging
and biomedical imaging, we will show that quantum dots can be
engineered to be more than passive reporters of their location; that
they can also act as sensors of their microenvironment. We will
provide an example of a quantum dot based pH sensor that is
ratiometric and self-referencing and that is optimized for the
biological environment.