[MOS] May 1, 2007

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 27 10:12:27 EDT 2007

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Rebecca Richards-Kortum,
Rice University

Optical Imaging for point of care diagnostics

May 1, 2007

12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grier Room 34-401

Recent advances in MEMS technologies, miniature microscopy,
nanotechnology, molecular recognition, and low power sensors and
microprocessors now offer the ability to design low-cost, reusable
platforms for point-of-care (POC) diagnostics.  This talk will
describe research efforts to integrate molecular imaging technologies
based on novel nanoparticles together with miniature microscopes to
detect cancer and infectious disease at the point of care.  Our
approach is built on the concept of modular design to yield a
flexible platform of technologies that can be integrated and
interchanged for multiplex detection of a variety of targets.  To
stain samples for optical analysis, we have developed a modular
approach to synthesize contrast agents, wherein components such as
the optical label and the probe molecule can be interchanged to
realize a variety of optically active agents suitable for multiplex
detection.  To interrogate stained specimens, we have also developed
a modular approach to build miniature optical sensors, in which
microlenses, detectors and other optical elements can be interchanged
on a common micro-optical table to yield a versatile array of tiny
microscopes and spectrometers for quantitative biological sensing.
We will illustrate that these methods yield a powerful and versatile
approach to cost-effective, multiplexed POC diagnosis.   In parallel,
we have developed multidisciplinary educational programs to train
students to participate in interdisciplinary research efforts.  With
support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, we formed a new
undergraduate concentration called Beyond Traditional Borders (BTB).
The BTB program brings together science, engineering, policy, social
science and humanities undergraduates to address POC design problems
in developing countries.  In creating solutions to real world
challenges, students are challenged to think beyond traditional
disciplinary and geographic boundaries.  The program spans the
freshman to senior level, and students have the opportunity to travel
to the international site to test their solution in collaboration
with partner scientists and clinicians.