[MOS] MOS May 10, 2005

Zina Queen zqueen at MIT.EDU
Fri May 6 12:09:54 EDT 2005

Seminar on
Modern Optics and Spectroscopy

Alice Ting, MIT

Fluorescent reporters of protein trafficking and function

May 10, 2005
12:00 - 1:00 p.m.

Abstract

Our research program focuses on the development of new methodology
for probing the biochemistry of living cells. We will describe a
project in which we have used the bacterial enzyme biotin ligase to
develop new site-specific protein labeling methodology. This
methodology, which allows introduction of probes of any structure
onto a 15-amino acid acceptor peptide sequence, should provide a much
less invasive alternative to GFP (which is 238 amino acids), as well
as allow access to non-fluorescence applications such as MRI,
electron microscopy, EPR, and photocrosslinking, for which GFP is
useless. We will also describe our efforts to develop new families of
FRET-type reporters for imaging post-translational modification
events in live cells.
In addition to methodology development, our lab has become
increasingly interested in neuroscience problems. For instance, we
have applied the site-specific protein labeling methodology described
above to image the trafficking behavior of AMPA receptors on the
surface of hippocampal neurons and obtained interesting preliminary
data showing subunit-dependent trafficking in response to induction
of long-term potentiation.