[Mobilepartners] Apple Releases iOS 5, Recommendation to Wait

Jonathan McIndoe Hunt jmhunt at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 12 21:16:34 EDT 2011

Just as one more data point, my attempted update of an iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 today failed twice, before fatally failing a third time.  It eventually required restoring my iPhone to factory defaults.  My theory is that the Apple servers were overloaded and unable to adequately respond to the verification request during upgrade causing my initial 2 failures.  Not sure what happened on the third time.

I’ve seen reports of a number of others having issues applying the update.  For example, http://mashable.com/2011/10/12/error-3200ios-5-upgrade-woes/.

My errors I think were 3204 & 3203 which relate to a failed secure communication with iTunes Store.

Jon
Jonathan McIndoe Hunt     MIT EECS '97    617.253.0172
Senior Educational and Sustainability IT Project Manager Faculty & Student Experience (FSX) Information Services & Technology (IS&T), MIT http://ist.mit.edu/about/org/fsx

Important: IS&T staff will *NEVER* ask you for your password nor send email requesting it.  The bogus emails and phone calls asking for your password are Phishing attempts to compromise your email.

From: itpartners-bounces at MIT.EDU [mailto:itpartners-bounces at MIT.EDU] On Behalf Of Justin Fleming
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:23 PM
To: itpartners at mit.edu; mobilepartners at mit.edu
Cc: servicedesk-all at mit.edu
Subject: Apple Releases iOS 5, Recommendation to Wait

Good afternoon everyone,

Apple has released iOS 5 today, available as a free download via iTunes for a selection of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models.  iOS 5 incorporates a variety of new features, including an updated notification system, wireless setup and backup capabilities, Exchange task-syncing using a new app called Reminders, Twitter integration, new camera and photo-editing features, and more.  For more information, I recommend visiting http://www.apple.com/ios/

Although iOS 5 has been tested by the Mobile Devices Team and many IS&T-supported features, such as Exchange and IMAP support, work as expected in the new OS, we are not yet announcing support for iOS 5 and instead we currently recommend that users wait to upgrade to the new OS.  The only obstacle remaining at this point is that the IS&T certificate renewal page does not yet support iOS 5.  However, once this page has been updated, we will be able to send out another announcement concerning full IS&T support.

iOS 5 is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch, and both the iPad and the iPad 2.  Additionally, iOS 5 will be included on the iPhone 4S once it becomes available this Friday.

Documentation specific to iOS devices can be found in the Hermes knowledge base on the iPhone<http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/x/ZQdS> and iPad<http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/x/g4Rh> sections of the Mobile Device Ninja<http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/x/XQdS>.

For additional assistance with iOS 5, please contact the Mobile Devices Team at 617.324.1837<tel:617.324.1837> or mobile-help at mit.edu<mailto:mobile-help at mit.edu>.

Thanks,
Justin Fleming
--
Justin Fleming
Mobile Devices | Service Desk

Important: IS&T staff will never ask you for your password, nor will MIT send you email requesting your password information.
Please continue to ignore any email messages that claim to require you to provide such information.