[Mobilepartners] Apple Dropping NDA Requirement for iPhone Software Developers

Andrew Yu andrewyu at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 1 12:23:22 EDT 2008

Greetings!

Apple finally decided to drop the non-disclosure agreement for the
iPhone software developers. This NDA was a major hurdle for the MIT
community members who were interested in developing iPhone native
applications. Now that Apple no longer requires the NDA, we can
potentially pursue developing native applications and offer classes on
iPhone application development without subjecting the faculty, staff,
and students to keep the iPhone SDK information confidential.

Please see below for the official version of the announcement.

Cheers,

Andrew

Begin forwarded message:

> We have decided to drop the non-disclosure agreement (NDA) for
> released iPhone software.
>
> We put the NDA in place because the iPhone OS includes many Apple
> inventions and innovations that we would like to protect, so that
> others don’t steal our work. It has happened before. While we have
> filed for hundreds of patents on iPhone technology, the NDA added
> yet another level of protection. We put it in place as one more way
> to help protect the iPhone from being ripped off by others.
>
> However, the NDA has created too much of a burden on developers,
> authors and others interested in helping further the iPhone’s
> success, so we are dropping it for released software. Developers
> will receive a new agreement without an NDA covering released
> software within a week or so. Please note that unreleased software
> and features will remain under NDA until they are released.
>
> Thanks to everyone who provided us constructive feedback on this
> matter.

Andrew Yu
Mobile Devices Platform Project Manager
Information Services & Technology