[Mobilepartners] Next Mobile Partners User Group & Announcements

Andrew Yu andrewyu at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 9 12:06:36 EST 2007

TGIF,

I hope everyone is well. I have a couple of announcements:

1. Mobile Partners User Group (2/16 Friday at 2 pm): Verizon Wireless:

Verizon Wireless will be coming to present their roadmap to Mobile
Partners User Group next Friday. The meeting will take place at N42
Demo Center and refreshments will be served compliments of Verizon.
They may bring some give-aways, so please be there. Also, if you have
any specific questions or issues, it would be a good time to ask them
directly. A representative from Palm, Inc. will also be present to
answer questions.

2. Gartner Wireless & Mobile Summit:

I just returned from the Gartner Wireless & Mobile Summit in Dallas,
Texas and wanted to share with you some of the highlights of the
conference. I had a chance to meet with representatives from Palm,
Microsoft, Motorola, Research In Motion, Nokia, iPass, SAP, Trend
Micro, at&t, Sprint, etc., and got some useful information for MIT.

Here are some of the highlights from the conference:

A. Windows Mobile 6 is coming very soon: Microsoft will be announcing
Windows Mobile 6 (WM6) at the 3GSM in Barcelona next week. There will
be three different versions (Pro, Standard, Classic). The exciting
thing about WM6 is that it will have built-in functionality to import
x.509 personal certificates (without having to use a third-party
software). Also, WM6 devices will have SIP client software built-in.
I have invited the product manager of Microsoft to come and present
in front of Mobile Partners User Group in the spring, and I will let
you know when the date has been set.

B. VoWiFi/VoWLAN: the "hot" topic of this year's conference was on
voice-over Wireless LAN with seamless handoff to cellular voice
network. While the existing technology is still has a long way to go,
key industry leaders are definitely working on making this happen.

C. Future of Palm OS: Palm, Inc. was present at the conference mostly
promoting their Windows Mobile version of Treo devices. According to
a Palm representative, while the sakes of Palm OS Treo have been
growing, Windows Mobile version now account for 50% of Treo sales.

I have access to the presentation files, so I will put them up where
you can access them online in the near future.

3. Trial Users Wanted:
I have some devices from Palm that can be loaned out for two weeks to
those of you that are interested:
A. Cingular Treo 680 - Palm OS (you need to have Cingular SIM card).
B. Treo 680 - Palm OS (unlocked: you need to have a Cingular or T-
Mobile SIM card).
C. Cingular Treo 750 - Windows Mobile (you need to have Cingular SIM
card).

If anyone is interested, please email me directly, and I will arrange
for a trial.

4. Mobile Devices Wiki:
There is a Wiki set up to share information about various MIT-
specific mobile device issues. It is open to anyone with MIT
certificates. The Wiki is located at the following URL:
https://confab.mit.edu/confluence/display/MobileDevices/Mobile+Devices
+Wiki

5. Status of Mobile Devices Support at MIT:
IS&T is currently reviewing the level of mobile device support based
on the feedback from the survey in December. I have presented some
options to Jerry and Don, and we expect to make announcements in the
near future.

Have a great weekend!

Andrew

________________________________
Andrew J. Yu
Mobile Devices Platform Coordinator
Software Release Team
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Building W92-140B
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307

Phone: 617-324-8985
Fax: 617-258-8736
Email: AndrewYu at mit.edu