[Mobilepartners] Tech Time and the iPhone

Andrew Yu andrewyu at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 2 11:45:25 EDT 2007

Hi Sally,

There isn't any "good/reliable" option for TechTime calendar synchronization to the iPhone at the moment. And, using the web-interface is perhaps the easiest and least troublesome method. Having said that, however, the iPhone Evaluation Team has been trying the following methods:

Note: All data synchronization for the iPhone must go through the iTunes software. The options below essentially allow you to "sync" the TechTime data to the respective application on your computer from which the iTunes software will pick up the data and sync with the iPhone.

1. Windows XP with Outlook 2003 (without the Oracle Connector for Outlook):
There is a "SyncML" plugin software for Outlook called SyncJe (www.nexthaus.com) that performs two-way synchronization between the computer's Outlook application and the TechTime server. Once your calendar has been synchronized with Outlook, you can then use iTunes to sync the data to the iPhone.

Pros: Allows two-way synchronication.
Cons: SyncJe for Outlook does not handle things like daily notes, all day events, etc. too well.

2. Mac OS X with iCal
There is a script that you can use called "OraCal2iCal" (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13777) works with the latest version of Oracle Calendar client software (version 10.1.2) to perform one-way sync via iCal to the iPhone.

Pro: The only viable method of performing an automated "one-way sync" to iCal
Cons: One-way sync only. Requires the latest version of Oracle Calendar client software to be running on your computer.

3. Other methods:
We are looking into other methods of synchronizing TechTime calendar with the iPhone. However, since the iPhone is not yet open for real third-party software applications, we may not see a robust solution until Apple opens up the iPhone (via SDK, etc.) in the future.

We will keep you posted in the progress, but please feel free to try any of the methods above and share your findings. We will be posting some of our findings in the Mobile Devices Wiki shortly.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Yu
Mobile Devices Platform Coordinator