[Mobilepartners] SyncML/Tech Time weirdness

Andrew Yu andrewyu at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 4 17:02:36 EDT 2007

SyncML/Tech Time weirdnessHi Jon and Joni,

Thanks for the detailed info. I will include these cases in the Mobile
Devices Release Project as we move forward with our testing.

When TechTime server is "happy", the problems that you are describing may
not get duplicated. (I just ran a test and I could not duplicated the
problem).

I have seen my share of end-user problems and typically the end-users are
"confused" as to how the problem cannot be duplicated when I sit down with
them. This is not to say that the problems don't exist, but they are hard to
track down as these issues seem to depend on the state of the server at the
particular time.

I don't know when we may be able to get access to the server to obtain
additional information about these types of cases, but it will be crucial
part of the mobile devices release project.

In monitoring Corporate Time mailing list (outside MIT), there are questions
raised about the various configurations of Oracle Calendar server and
concerns about what happens when tens/hundreds/thousands of users hit the
server with SyncML at the same time.

So, the "best practice" (until we gain a better understanding of the server
condition and potentially make changes) is to be aware that TechTime Server
(especially the module that deals with SyncML) may malfunction from time to
time. Manual clean ups including repeated "update device" or "reload device"
sync will be necessary with lots of patience.

Once again, we will document these known issues during the Mobile Devices
Release Project. When you do encounter these errors, please send email to
mobliepartners at mit.edu.

Andrew

Andrew Yu
Mobile Devices Platform Coordinator