[Mobilepartners] EXTERNAL NEWS: Palm related (10/13/2006)

Andrew Yu andrewyu at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 13 09:07:20 EDT 2006

TGIF,

Couple of news items that might be of interest:

1. Announcement of Palm Treo 680 (Palm OS Garnet v5.4.9: GSM/GPRS/EDGE)
As some of you may know, Palm just announced a new Treo 680 (based on Palm OS) yesterday. While availability has yet to be announced, in the U.S., the device may initially be offered by either Cingular or T-Mobile first.

For more info, please visit the following URL's:
http://tinyurl.com/sk2lp
http://tinyurl.com/tuouf

[Impact on MIT: Palm OS will be around for some time, and we should continue/expand our support.]

2. Palm Treo 700wx (Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC) coming to Verizon
Treo 700wx is basically an improvement over Treo 700w with more memory (improving user experience)

For more info, please visit the following URL:
http://tinyurl.com/wnxw9

[Impact on MIT: For those users thinking about purchasing Treo 700w from Verizon Wireless, I would recommend waiting for the new Treo 700wx. Windows Mobile devices are memory-hungry, and the performance is sure to improve with the new 700wx.]

3. Google Maps for Treo (it might also work on other Palm OS 5.x devices)

Google just released the Palm OS version of this app. I've been a big fan (it was only available on BlackBerry devices in the past), and it's quite useful. It's one of those applications that you can be addicted to, so please make sure that you have either "wi-fi" or unlimited data plan.

http://www.google.com/gmm/treo

Lastly...
I am wondering if anyone in this list has a BlackBerry device from carriers other than T-Mobile. I am in the process of evaluating a SyncML client software (SyncJe for BlackBerry), and I would like to verify that it works on BlackBerry devices from Verizon, Sprint, and Cingular.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew
_______________________________________
Andrew J. Yu
Mobile Devices Platform Coordinator
Software Release Team
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Building W92-140B
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307

Phone: 617-324-8985
Fax: 617-258-8736
Email: AndrewYu at mit.edu