[Mobilepartners] MPUG Meeting 12/15 Agenda

Andrew Yu andrewyu at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 8 10:35:54 EST 2006

TGIF,

Sprint/Nextel has agreed to give a short presentation (<30 minutes) to Mobile Partners User Group for next Friday (12/15). There may

Based on your feedback, I would like to devote the second half of our meeting to discuss Mobile Web Sites for MIT. I would like to take the opportunity to make this an interactive session where we can all collectively a) learn about how other mobile sites work and b) brainstorm on what type of mobile sites are desired for MIT.

Time: 12/15/2006 2pm - 3pm
Place: N42 Demo Room

Agenda
1. Sprint/Nextel Presentation: Devices, Services, and Future Plans
2. Mobile Web Sites:
a. What's out there? (e.g. Google Mobile, Yahoo Mobile, Ohio State University?)
b. What would we like to see for MIT's mobile web sites?

Before our meeting (even if you cannot join), if you have a spare moment, I would like you to think of the following share during the meeting:

0. Audience: Faculty, staff, students, visitors (even tourists - let's give reinforce the impression that MIT is the leading technology institute!)

1. URL options for Mobile Portal:
m.mit.edu
mobile.mit.edu
pda.mit.edu
mit.edu/mobile
mit.edu/pda
or any other ideas...

2. Content: What content would you like to be "mobile-ready"?
- People Directory
- Maps and Directions
- IS&T Web Site (which part)
- News
- Tech Shuttle Schedule (location based)
- Spotlight
- Library Hours and Catalog
- Class Schedule
- Dining Options (location/time-based) including menu and nutrient information
- Safety - What to do in the event of emergency for chemical spills, etc.
- Athletic Facilities (hours/phone number/etc.)
- Activities (time/location based)
- Google Search (mobile)
- Emergency Contact
- What Else? Maybe "smart mobile website" that knows your profile, location, date/time to save you trouble for "clicking" too many links to navigate?

3. Basic vs. Advanced Content Delivery
4. Personalized Portal
5. Using camera to access URL (good with flyers posted all over the campus). This is very common in Japan and Korea, where an advertisement will have a "bar code" that camera phones can be used to pick up the URL.
6. Others...

We will not have enough time to go over all of the topics mentioned above, but I would like to start bouncing ideas and provide a well-defined guidelines to whoever will be working on mobile web sites.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Andrew
_______________________________________
Andrew J. Yu
Mobile Devices Platform Coordinator
Software Release Team
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Building W92-140B
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307

Phone: 617-324-8985
Fax: 617-258-8736
Email: AndrewYu at mit.edu