[mitgis] MIT GIS Updates

Jennie Murack murack at mit.edu
Wed Feb 28 08:58:24 EST 2018

Spring Semester Help Hours:

Monday - Thursday: 1-5pm
Friday: 2-4pm

Stop by the GIS lab in Rotch Library (7-238). You don't need an appointment!
For help during spring break (3/26-3/30), email gishelp at mit.edu<mailto:gishelp at mit.edu>.

Upcoming Workshops:

Intro to GIS Principles and Working with Historic Data<http://calendar.mit.edu/event/intro_to_gis_principles_and_working_with_historic_data_in_gis_8666#.Wpa0a-gbNaQ>: March 14th, 10:30am-12:30pm

GIS Skills Needed for Upcoming Hackathons:

MIT Hack for Inclusion: March 9th-10th
Learning more and register: www.mitbreakingthemold.com<http://www.mitbreakingthemold.com>

Make the Breast Pump Not Suck: April 27th-29th
Apply: www.makethebreastpumpnotsuck.com<http://www.makethebreastpumpnotsuck.com>  (deadline 2/28)

Use your GIS skills to help answer questions, such as the following:
-Geographies with no baby-friendly hospitals, no lactation services, no lactation consultants and no peer support groups have been called "first food deserts" because they create a climate of poor support for breastfeeding where it is extremely unlikely that breastfeeding will be successful. Where are these located?
-How can we best visualize those first food deserts at national scale so that we can direct resources and support to the communities most in need?  What are the implications for required investment?
-Are there correlations that would provide more support for the benefits of breastfeeding- for example the relationship to educational achievement? Public health advocacy and investment to eliminate food deserts?

All disciplines welcome: students, academics, professionals, community members
No prior hackathon experience necessary.
Questions? Contact Elaine Harris- ejharris at alum.mit.edu<mailto:ejharris at alum.mit.edu>

Jennie Murack
Geospatial Data Librarian
Massachusetts Institute of Technology