[Macpartners] Apple macOS Sierra 10.12 release

David M. Templeton dtemp at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 20 15:15:01 EDT 2016

In early August 2011, I bought a Early-2011 15" Macbook Pro. The laptop is
from the first third of the year (obviously), and originally came with 10.6
Snow Leopard installed. About a week before I got my MBP, 10.7 Lion was
released, which modified the firmware of supported laptops to allow
Internet Recovery (because that was the first Mac OS version that didn't
come on disc). The laptop I got had 10.7 pre-installed, and because of the
firmware tweak, it could not be downgraded to 10.6.

It's certainly possible that existing Mac models that get 10.12 installed
won't be downgradable to 10.11, but we don't know yet.

It's almost a certainty that new Mac models announced (hopefully) next
month won't be downgradable to 10.11, especially the ones that come with
new hardware features (ie. touch-sensitive OLED function row).