[Macpartners] [csail-related] New MacBook Pro Battery Life?

Micha Feigin michaf at mit.edu
Thu Nov 17 21:35:29 EST 2016

My experience with macs is that if you want to use them for longer times you need to watch what is running in the background, they have a tendency on occasion to run something in the background taking the CPU to 100% for a long time. Sometimes they are find and work for 8 hours and sometimes they go crazy and run out of juice after a couple of hours. Especially make sure to turn off wireless and close browsers (all the more so if like me you tend to leave 30 tabs open).

I think that the new macbook pros put more emphasis on saving weight then they did on increasing battery life.

There are external battery packs that work with laptops. It may be easier now with the new usb-c standard, although I do not know much about the change through usb-c standard (the 13” macbooks have a 65W adapter so you probably need a heftier battery pack, buy maybe you can trickle charge rather than run off batter).

Ran into these two with a quick search, there are million more I’m sure (the one with mains power looks intriguing, second one is for the magsafe macs).

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-20100mAh-Universal-Smartphones/dp/B01LYONAT8/ref=pd_sbs_107_12?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LYONAT8&pd_rd_r=MW4J6TG9JR90PMPZ78JT&pd_rd_w=tONKP&pd_rd_wg=eBfTQ&psc=1&refRID=MW4J6TG9JR90PMPZ78JT
https://www.amazon.com/Lizone®-26000mAh-External-Battery-Aluminum/dp/B00HLDSMH2

Forgive the amazon links, that’s what google came up with