[Macpartners] 2 "XP-ish" questions (for the macpartners!)

Aran M Parillo aran at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 5 11:47:38 EDT 2012

Greetings!

I'm grappling with a couple different "XP-ish" issues and looking for some help/advice.

First is an older Macbook Air (Model Id: Macbook Air2,1) which was running 10.5, with boot camp (2.2) and XP.  The user was experiencing network time outs on usually solid signals.  I updated 10.5 to 10.6 which allowed me to apply a couple firmware updates for the machine.  Would those firmware updates have any effect on the XP side?

I had hoped too that installing 10.6 would allow me to take advantage of Boot Camp updates, alas running Apple's software update from the XP side does not reveal any.  Is there even a bootcamp 3.x for this model?

Second is perhaps a more common issue.  A former 10.6 user was recently updated to 10.7.  The update broke her ability to connect to an older copier/scanner that is using a network share protocol that's less secure and turned off by default.  My attempts at having the copier/scanner folks update the firmware of the machine did not help.

I found the "sysctl -w net.smb.fs.kern_deprecatePreXPServers=0" command that allows her to connect to the share and made an applescript that runs it on login, however whether or not it succeeds seems to depend upon conditions I'm not able to determine.  Eventually running the script works, but I'd like to refine the script to prompt the user just once for their password and continue trying until it succeeds.  Have you run into this "PreXPServers" issue, if so how did you resolve?  If you employed a similar script, would you mind sharing any refinements?

Many thanks and best wishes on a successful Fall 2012!
Aran