[Macpartners] mapping ports on http requests

Mark Klein m_klein at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 7 16:35:10 EDT 2009

Thanks for the directions. Unfortunately, they didn't  work for me. My
web server listens to http://franc2.mit.edu:8000/. I set the IPFW
rules, with the following result:

FRANC2:~ markklein$ sudo ipfw list
01000 fwd 127.0.0.1,8000 tcp from any to any dst-port 80 in
01100 allow ip from any to any dst-port 8000 in
65535 allow ip from any to any

which looks right. But when I direct my browser to http://franc2.mit.edu/
, i get the following error:

	Bad Request: Unknown Virtual Host
	The virtual host franc2.mit.edu on port 80 is unknown.

Any ideas? Do I need to change anything else, e.g. the firewall
settings in the security control panel? Does the system need to be
rebooted for changes to take effect? Why does the ipfw rule reference
127.0.0.1? Is that the address reserved for routers? My server's ip is
18.36.1.44.

     Thanks,

	Mark