[Macpartners] mapping ports on http requests

Mark Klein m_klein at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 7 08:42:32 EDT 2009

I am running an HTTP server (cl-http) on a Mac under OS 10.5. The
server listens only to port 8000, and there is apparently no easy way
to change that. This means, however, that some people are unable to
access my server because their firewalls block ports above 1000. So,
what I'd like to do is find a way to re-direct http requests sent to
port 80 on my Mac so they go to port 8000. I've heard there are
several ways this can be done, including:

    - use NATD (the Network Address Translation daemon)
    - use forwarding rules on my Mac's firewall

I've tried several ways to configure this, including:

   - using ipfw from the command line
   - using portmap (which I believe configures the network address
translation)
   - using waterroof (which can configure firewall rules, as well as
the NATD)

None have worked for me. I suspect that I'm missing some simple piece
to the configuration process, but I have no idea what.

Is there a Mac OS guru out there whom could help set up the http port
mapping properly on my Mac? I would greatly appreciate it, this has
held me up for several weeks.

    Thanks very much,

	  Mark

Mark Klein