[Macpartners] Moving e-messages to a new Mac

Brian Bulmer bbulmer at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 16 11:57:50 EDT 2008

A nice trick I use on moving from an older to a newer Mac. If you have
another admin account on the machine, or just create a temp one. You
can go into the Accounts System Preference panel and delete the user
you want to retain all info and settings for, while saving all data to
a disk image.

Enter System Preferences -> Accounts Preference pane.
Select the user you want to preserve and choose the option to delete
the user. (I know, I  know, it sounds foolish.)
When asked how you want to remove it, choose the option to "Save the
users home directory as a disk image".
It will then create a disk image in the /Users/Deleted Users/ folder.

Now, if you burn that disk image off to CD, or DVD, depending on size
of course, at any later date with the media mounted you can actually
use the migration assistant to import the users "From another volume
on this Mac". This will bring back all your preferences, mail,
bookmarks, documents, etc. You can also restore it back to the same
Mac if you have mixed emotions on abandoning the old Mac.

Note: This does not bring over, or preserve applications. This has to
be done with the method of the Macs connected via firewire using the
migration assistant  and Target disk ode.

I have to say, I've used the migration assistant many times, and
almost always extremely pleased with the results.

Just my 2¢ worth......

Brian