[Macpartners] Streaming audio servers?

Jensen, Scott C. jensen at ilp.mit.edu
Fri May 11 03:15:17 EDT 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Hi Scott:
>
> I did find QSS, and reviewed its configuration from its built-in web
> server:
>
> I did not find an easy way to change the listening port (default
> appears to be 80), nor did I find a way to tell it the source audio
> location was a mic port - it seemed to want a hostname/IP address of
> the source audio location.
>
> Other ideas, or is there a way to adjust the QSS config I overlooked?
>
> Scott

Hi - As Justin mentioned in his message, to stream a live feed, you need
the QT Broadcaster package.  I always think of it as part of QTSS, but
it's really its own product.  I just tried it, and it started to
broadcast from the Mac's cam/mic with the push of a button - quick and
slick.

     About changing the port used by QTSS - I had thought there was a
way to do this, but I don't see it in either Server Admin (under
OSX-Server) or on the QTSS admin web page.  It seems that it will always
want to use port 554, the RTSP std port.  The only other mgmt option it
offers is whether you also want to stream over port 80, but I don't
think that will help you (it'll let you listen to the stream through a
firewall that blocks port 554, however).

     If you don't mind leaving QTSS set to stream over port 554, I think
you should be able to use IPFW to forward packets from another port,
like 10001, to port 554.  I believe that would allow you to listen via a
URL like RTSP://yourserver.mit.edu:10001/...  Look at the app Simple
Port Forwarder at http://www.4dresources.com/files/ for more info.

                                                           ---SCJ