[Macpartners] need a way to separate names

John J. Fothergill, Jr. jjfothjr at MIT.EDU
Fri May 4 07:41:16 EDT 2007

Hi Phyllis,

You could have left the commas in and used them as the delimiter
character. With them gone, you can use the space in with the following.
First be sure there is an empty column immediately to the right of the
column with "last name, first name". Click on the column heading (letter
A) then choose from the menu "Data > Text to Columns..." in the dialog
box that follows, be sure that the "Delimited" radio button is selected
then click "Next". In the next window place a check mark in the "Space"
box. You should see your list separate in the Data preview window at the
bottom of this box. At this point, there is no reason to continue to
step 3, just click "Finish". Your names will be placed into separate
columns.

John