[Macpartners] Apple fileservers

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 25 18:22:32 EST 2006

On Jan 9, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Myles Crowley, MIT News Office wrote:

> The News Office is considering an upgrade path for our AppleShare OSX
> Server running on a G4 450MHz desktop machine. Should we consider an
> entry-level Xserve G5 or would a regular G5 tower operate just as
> well?  We need a basic server for shared volumes and as an archive.
> Speed, storage space and reliability are the requirements. We also
> have a G4 running FileMaker Server and another G4 running Extensis
> Portfolio Server and so there's some inter-activity (some database
> scripts and synched folders) between these machines, the OSX server
> and our users.
>
> Thanks for  your thoughts!
>
> Myles

The Xserve is designed to be a server, while the Power Macintosh G5
is not. If having the best server for the money is the priority,
certainly the Xserve is the best bet. Also, the Xserve comes with an
unlimited license version of Mac OS X Server--you'd have to buy it
separately for a Power Mac.

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Client Support Services
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu